Spinach Salad with Warm Maple-Balsamic Dressing, Sautéed Mushrooms, Toasted Hazelnuts and Original Blue
- 2 (10 oz.) packages baby spinach, cleaned
- 2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 ½ cups balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 8 oz. toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 6 oz. crumbled Point Reyes Original Blue
Arrange spinach on a serving platter. Set aside.
In a small skillet, over medium-high heat, sauté red onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until soft. Add mushrooms and cook thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a small saucepan over low heat, warm the shallot in the olive oil until aromatic. Add balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium-high and whisk constantly until mixture is hot, almost to a boil. Remove from heat and cool until warm to the touch. Whisk mixture again and pour over spinach. Top with mushrooms and mix gently. Top with toasted hazelnuts and crumbled Original Blue. Serve immediately.